Wear wacky glasses that distort your vision while you try to draw pictures for your teammates in this hilarious game of Googly Eyes! In these Googly Eyes rules, you will learn how to play this entertaining party game that will provide laughter and fun to all participants!
Googly Eyes is similar to Pictionary and Telestrations, except the person drawing must wear a pair of wacky glasses that distorts their vision, making their drawings harder to decipher!
Be the first team to reach the finish space at the opposite side of the gameboard, but watch out for spaces that will make you lose a turn! The more correct guesses your team makes, the more you get to roll the die and the closer you get to the finish space.
This Googly Eyes rules guide will cover the following:
- What is Googly Eyes
- What you’ll need to play Googly Eyes
- Googly Eyes rules
- How to win Googly Eyes
- Similar game guides
Find out how to play Googly Eyes by reading more below!
What is Googly Eyes?
Googly Eyes is a family-friendly party game where players separate into teams to guess what their teammate is drawing. The person drawing must wear wacky glasses that distort their vision making it harder for their team to guess!
Number of players: 4-16
Length of play: 45min
Category: Party, family, humor, drawing, team-based
Similar to: Pictionary, Cranium, Telestrations
Main Objective: Be the first team to make it to the finish space!
Why We Love It: We love that the glasses come with multiple lenses that change the distortion levels, making some of the drawings even harder to complete!
What You’ll Need to Play Googly Eyes
Everything you need to play Googly Eyes can be found in the box:
The following components are found inside each game of Googly Eyes:
- 1 Game board
- 4 Pawns (purple, red, yellow, green)
- 1 Pair of wacky glasses with:
- 1 set of green lenses (easy)
- 1 set of yellow lenses (medium)
- 1 set of blue lenses (hard)
- 54 cards
- 1 Drawing Pad
- 1 Pencil
- 1 Die
- 1 Timer
Googly Eyes Rules
The main goal in Googly Eyes is to be the first team to reach the finish space on the gameboard by guessing their team’s drawings correctly.
- Place the game board in the center of the table within reach of all players.
- Each team chooses a colored pawn and places it on the Start space.
- Shuffle all cards and place them in a facedown pile near the board.
- Make sure you have the wacky glasses, extra lenses, timer, die, pencil, and drawing pad near the game board.
You are now ready to play Googly Eyes!
How to Play Googly Eyes
The team with the youngest player is the first team to take a turn! That team then determines which player will be the first to draw. Teams alternate turns throughout the game, and teams can choose which players will draw each turn.
Turns proceed as follows:
- The person drawing for the team this turn rolls the die.
- Move the team’s pawn to the number of spaces shown on the die. The color space that the pawn lands on will determine two things:
- The color lens that will be added to the glasses
- The challenge that will be played on the card
- The teammate drawing this turn draws the top card of the challenge deck and announces which category the card is (entertainment, places, or objects).
- The drawer silently looks at the challenge that matches the color of the space that their team’s pawn is currently positioned on. Then, they announce how long that specific challenge needs to be timed for (15, 30, or 45 seconds which is listed next to the challenge).
- They place the card facedown on the table, grab the pencil and drawing pad, and put on the wacky glasses with the correct colored lens. Once the timer is set, they start to draw for their team! Their team has to guess what is being drawn before the timer runs out!
- If their team guesses correctly, they roll the die and move their pawn the number of spaces that were rolled.
- If the team does not guess the drawing correctly, they do not roll the die and stay put until their next turn.
There are a few spaces on the gameboard that have special rules:
- Choose the Lens Color: This space shows glasses in 3 different colors (yellow, green, and blue). When you land on this space, you can choose which color lens to wear. Whichever lens you chose, make sure you pick the same colored challenge!
- Switch Hands: When your pawn lands here, you have to draw with the opposite hand you normally draw with! Example: If you are right-handed, you must draw with your left hand this turn!
- Draw Without Wearing Glasses: This space says it all! You got lucky, there is no need to wear the wacky glasses this turn!
- Skip/Lose a Turn: Oops! You do not get to draw this turn. Your team must wait until the next turn to roll onto another space.
Rules While Drawing
- You cannot draw letters or numbers.
- You must stay seated at all times while wearing the wacky glasses and only take them off when the timer is up, or your team guesses the drawing correctly.
- You cannot speak or mime while your team is guessing your drawing.
How to Win Googly Eyes
A team wins the game when they are the first to get their pawn to the “Finish” space on the game board! You do not need to roll the exact amount of spaces to land here.
Video Tutorial for Googly Eyes
Frequently Asked Questions
In Googly Eyes, what happens if you land on a “Lose Your Turn” space after guessing correctly?
If this were to happen, you will apply the effects your next turn. You will not take the next turn, instead, you must wait to roll until your following turn.
Are there more versions of Googly Eyes?
Yes, there is also a Googly Eyes Spin version of the game where the glasses not only have distorted lenses, they also spin while you draw! The timer is also built into the glasses, and there is a different board game that has you spin instead of rolling a die.
There is also a Googly Eyes Showdown version which has the same distorted glasses from the original game, but teams go head-to-head and draw at the same time rather than take turns.
Is it easy to change the lenses on the glasses in Googly Eyes?
Yes, the lenses easily pop in and out of the frames!
Other Similar Games to Googly Eyes (Our Guides)
If you enjoyed reading about Googly Eyes, check out these similar game guides (if we have covered them):
- Pictionary rules
- Cranium rules
- Telestrations rules
- Pass the Pen rules
- Guesstures rules
- Rapidough rules (coming soon)
- Monikers game rules
- Pictomania rules (coming soon)
- Lego Creationary rules (coming soon)
- Cranium Cadoo rules