In Between card game is a simple bidding game enjoyed in many countries worldwide. These In Between rules will help you learn how to play this game.
In between, also known as In-Between, Sheets, Acey-Deucey, Reddog, or Yablon, is a classic game with several variations.
Thanks to its simple rules, small demands on equipment, and unpredictability, it is a popular choice for game night with your friends or family (discover more game night ideas here).
This In Between rules guide will cover the following:
- What is In Between?
- What you’ll need to play In Between
- In Between rules
- How to play In Between (video tutorial)
- Other similar games to In Between (our guides)
Read on to learn how to play In Between.
What is In Between
In between is a classic casino-style card game centered around betting on randomly drawn cards. It doesn’t involve any complex strategies, so it’s suitable even for inexperienced players.
Number of Players: 2+ players
Ages: Older kids (approx. 8+) and adults
Length of Play: 15 – 30 minutes
Category: Casino-style card game
Similar to: High Card Pool, Hi Lo, Maverick
Main Objective: Earn as many chips as possible through bets on the value of the cards.
Why We Love It: In Between is an amusing yet straightforward game that can be played for hours.
What You’ll Need to Play In Between
To play In Between, you will need just two essential things:
- Poker-style deck of cards (any classic deck of 52 cards will be suitable)
- Casino chips (the basic casino chips set usually contains around 100 pieces)
You can also buy these two together in semi-professional casino sets.
Furthermore, you will need a spacious table or another similar surface to play on.
In Between Card Game Rules
In Between rules are simple. Most players can master them very quickly. First, you need to arrange your gameplay area.
Starting the Game
Start the preparations by presenting each player with an equal amount of chips(e.g., ten). To create a middle pot, each player donates one of their chips (or some other agreed amount).
Before you start playing, you must decide on a dealer (he will also play the game along with the remaining players). Shuffle the cards and place them in front of the dealer.
Also, decide on the number of rounds you want to play in total.
How to Play In Between
The gameplay goes as follows:
- The dealer turns two cards over and places them at the center of the table.
- Now the player to the left from the dealer takes his turn. He places a bet on whether the next card’s value will range in between the two cards.
- The minimum bet is one chip, and the maximum bet equals the number of chips in the middle pot.
- If the player wins, he gets double the amount of chips back (Example: The player bets two chips on a card between 2 and 8. If the card is 6, he gets back his two chips plus two more chips from the pot).
- If the player loses (e.g., the third card is 9), his chips are passed to the pot.
- The cards are discarded face-down in a separate pile.
- Another player (in the clockwise direction) takes turns. The dealer flips over two new cards.
The game continues in a similar manner, but occasionally, you will come across some specific situations:
- If the two cards in the middle are in sequence (e.g., 6 and 7), the player loses one chip (the minimum bet). There’s no need to turn the third card over in this case.
- If the two cards in the middle are of the same value (e.g., two queens), the player wins two chips from the pot. Again, there’s no need to turn the third card over.
- If the third card has the same value as any of the cards, the player loses.
- If a player places a maximum bet and wins (= collects all chips from the middle pot), all players will donate an equal amount of chips to create a new bank.
When all players have their turns, the round is over. Play for as many rounds as you have initially agreed on.
In Between Scoring
When you have completed all the rounds, the players count their chips. The player with the most chips wins the game.
How to Play In Between – Video Tutorial
In Between Frequently Asked Questions
How many players can play In Between?
In Between can be played by two or more players. The maximum number is not defined, but you should stick to 2 – 8 players to keep the game dynamic.
When do you shuffle cards in In Between?
As the game proceeds, you might need to reuse the pile of disposed cards. Players can agree to shuffle the cards after every round or only when they need to use them again.
What are the In Between variations?
In Between has numerous alternative rules. Sometimes, players can bet on the third card to be outside of the range in between the first two cards. Ace can be interpreted as both the ‘highest’ and the ‘lowest’ card. Players can also place ‘blind bets’ to win more chips.
Other Similar Games to In Between (Our Guides)
If you like In Between, check out our guides to the following similar games: