Mullets, hoverboards, hi-tops, Prince – the 1980’s had some pretty memorable moments and colorful characters! But how much do you think you know about the 1980’s – or how much do you think you can remember from that decade?
Why not step up to the challenge with 126 of the best 80’s trivia questions and answers!
It doesn’t matter whether you were born in that golden decade, or whether you’re just a fan of the 1980’s – these 1980’s trivia questions and answers will be guaranteed to keep you, your family, and your friends entertained for hours.
Plus, you’ll soon become a 1980’s pro with all the knowledge you can get from our 80’s trivia quiz.
Let’s kick things off with a slightly easier round – looking at some of the more general facts about the 1980’s. These general 1980’s trivia questions and answers might be easy for you, but we can assure you that things will get trickier!
1. Where were the 1980 Olympic Games held?
2. 80s kids will remember the VHS - but what does it stand for?
Video Home System
3. Which video game was the most popular video game of the 1980s?
4. Which computer sold in the 1980’s still holds the Guinness World Record for the highest-selling computer of all time?
The Commodore 64
5. What year was the Berlin Wall torn down?
6. What is the name of the ancient Chinese toy that had a new lease of life in the 1980’s?
The Hacky Sack - it dates back to 3000 BC!
7. Which advertising slogan was launched by Nike in 1988?
‘Just Do It’
8. What photographic device was introduced to the world in 1986?
The Fuji QuickSnap - the world’s first disposable camera
9. How long did it take Erno Rubik, the inventor of the Rubik’s Cube, to solve his own invention?
10. Where was the 1986 World Cup held?
11. Which infamous ship which sank in 1912 was found in 1985?
12. Which country had the first Disneyland to be built outside of the US, and in what year?
Japan, in 1983
13. What was the name of the space shuttle that tragically exploded in 1986?
14. What is the name of the incredibly popular range of dolls introduced in the 1980’s?
Cabbage Patch Kids
15. CD players first appeared in 1982 - but what does CD actually stand for?
16. What is the name of the 1980 smash musical that originally started out being sung in French, and then was translated into English?
17. Who won the Superbowl in 1987?
The New York Giants
18. In 1980, Robert Ludlum published the first book in a series, which were then adapted into films featuring Matt Damon. What was the name of the first book in the series?
The Bourne Identity
19. Which shoe had a resurgence in the 1980’s?
The Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star
20. What won the Tony for the best musical in 1980?
21. How many summer Olympic Games were held in the 1980’s, and where was each one held?
Moscow, 1980 - Los Angeles, 1984 - Seoul, 1988
22. Which three musicals all won Tony awards in the 1980’s, and who was behind them?
Evita, Cats, and Phantom of the Opera all won Tony awards, and were all credited to Andrew Lloyd-Webber
23. What kids accessory took the 1980’s by storm?
24. What underwear designer is synonymous with the 1980’s?
25. What were you likely to have stored your make-up in during the 1980’s?
26. Who was synonymous with workout videos during the 1980’s?
27. Which US state came up with the concept of ‘Casual Friday’s’?
28. Which volcano, found in the US state of Washington, erupted in 1989?
Mount St Helens
29. What is the name of the hairstyle that was short at the front and sides, but long at the back?
30. What is the name of the square where Chinese students protested?
31. What happened in Ukraine in 1986?
The Chernobyl Disaster
1980’s Film & TV Trivia Questions and Answers
Some of the most iconic film and TV characters first appeared in the 1980’s, so this selection of the best film & TV 1980’s trivia questions and answers should be a breeze – as long as you know your Mad Max from your Max Headroom…
1. Which comedy-drama film features a group of high-schoolers spending detention together?
The Breakfast Club
2. What sort of car is used as a time machine in Back to the Future?
3. Which smash hit film featured Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, and Harold Ramis?
4. Which confectionary product was made famous by E.T.?
5. What is the name of the car in Knight Rider?
6. What is the name of the iconic cartoon that started as a series of short skits on the Tracey Ullman Show in 1987?
7. ‘Buffy’ was the original name for which iconic Star Wars character?
8. Which news network first launched in 1980?
9. Freddy Krueger is the name of villain in which 1980’s movie series?
Nightmare On Elm Street
10. What 1988 movie featured Matt Damon’s first speaking role, and was Julia Robert’s big break?
11. Which actor first appeared as James Bond in 1987?
Timothy Dalton, in The Living Daylights
12. Which Austrian bodybuilder had his first big break in 1982, and what was the name of the film?
Arnold Schwarznegger, appearing in Conan the Barbarian
13. Angela, Tony, Sam, and Mona appear in which iconic 1980’s show?
Who’s the Boss?
14. What was the name of the boxer that Robert DeNiro played and what was the name of the film?
Jake LaMotta, in Raging Bull
15. What is the name of the evil wizard who featured in the animated show He-Man?
16. What is the name of the car featured prominently in iconic 1980’s show Dukes of Hazzard?
17. What is the name of the van that Scooby Doo and his friends travel around in?
The Mystery Machine
18. What is the name of the film that features Charlie and Raymond Babbitt going on a road trip?
19. Which television journalist had the catch-phrase ‘and that’s the way it is’?
20. What was the name of the villain in the Smurfs, and what was his cat called?
Gargamel & Azmarel
21. What was the evil spirit featured in the 1982 movie Poltergeist called?
22. In the movie ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit?’, what was Roger Rabbit’s wife called?
23. What was the name of Patrick Swayze’s character in the 1987 movie Dirty Dancing?
24. What underwear designer is synonymous with the 1980’s?
25. Where is the movie Die Hard set?
In a skyscraper in Los Angeles
26. Who starred as Ferris Bueller in ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’?
27. What is the name of the hotel that Jack Nicholson becomes the caretaker of in the 1980 movie The Shining?
The Overlook Hotel
28. Which film features creatures that should never be fed after midnight?
1980’s Music Trivia Questions and Answers
There’s surely no better decade for music than the 1980’s – from Wham! to Prince, via Guns ‘n’ Roses and Bon Jovi, the 1980’s had it all. But how much do you think you remember? See how well you can do with our best music 1980’s trivia questions and answers.
1. Which song by Billy Joel featured over 100 different headlines from 1949 to 1989?
We Didn’t Start The Fire
2. Who was the first female artist to sell over 5 million copies of her album?
Madonna, with her album ‘Like A Virgin’
3. Which US musician wrote the smash hit ‘Manic Monday’, made famous by the Bangles?
4. Who played the guitar solo in Michael Jackson’s song ‘Beat It’?
Eddie Van Halen
5. Which artists had a number 1 hit song in 1982, called ‘Ebony & Ivory’?
Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
6. Where does the group A-ha come from?
7. Which famous Jamaican singer passed away in 1981?
8. What was Jenny’s phone number, as sung in the hugely popular 1980’s song?
9. What is the name of the iconic 1987 Rick Astley song?
Never Gonna Give You Up
10. Which musician was ‘Addicted to Love’?
11. Which chart-topping artist finalised a divorce with Sean Penn in 1987?
12. Who had a number 1 film, a number 1 album, and a number 1 single simultaneously in 1984?
13. What is the name of Whitney Houston’s first platinum-selling single?
I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
14. What is the name of the 1981 chart-topping single by Journey?
Don’t Stop Believin’
15. Who did Bruce Springsteen get to dance onstage with him in his 1984 music video for ‘Dancing in the Dark’?
16. Who had their first number 1 single with the song ‘Rich Girl’?
Hall & Oates
17. Which artist had a 1983 tour called the ‘Serious Moonlight Tour’?
18. Dire Straits’ song ‘Money For Nothing’, first released in 1985, features backing vocals from which iconic singer?
19. Who had a breakthrough hit in 1983 with the song ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’?
20. Which 1982 album was one of the best-selling albums of all time?
Thriller by Michael Jackson
21. What did Bobby McFerrin tell us to do in 1988?
Don’t Worry, Be Happy’
22. Which iconic music product was released by Sony in 1980?
23. Which Madonna song first hit the Hot 100 in 1983?
24. Which Blondie song featured in the movie American Gigolo?
25. Who was the first woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987?
26. Who won the 1981 Grammy award for Album of the Year?
Christopher Cross, with his album ‘Sailing’
27. Which iconic dance move was first debuted at the Motown 25th anniversary show?
Michael Jackson performing the Moonwalk
28. Which group did Lionel Richie leave in 1982?
29. Which song was at the top of the Hot 100, the Adult Contemporary, the Dance, and the R&B charts simultaneously in 1985?
Stevie Wonder’s ‘Part Time Lover’
30. What was the name of George Michael’s 1987 debut album?
31. What launched in 1981 that changed the way music was consumed?
32. Which group sang the song ‘Pass the Dutchie’, released in 1982?
33. Who sang the song ‘Take Me Home’?
34. What was the huge charity benefit concert that took place in the UK called?
35. Who is the lead singer of Duran Duran?
Simon Le Bon
36. What was the name of the 1981 song performed by Queen and David Bowie?
37. What was the name of Bruce Springsteen’s 1984 album that produced 7 top 10 hits?
Born In The USA
1980’s Fashion Trivia Questions and Answers
We’re sure you’d agree, some items of 1980’s fashion are best forgotten. However, some of them have had a recent resurgence of interest (unbelievably!). Test your knowledge with our best fashion 1980’s trivia questions and answers.
1. Which accessory was popularised by the iconic 1980’s film Top Gun?
Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses
2. What clothing brand had the slogan ‘when you put it on, something happens’?
3. What piece of clothing was made popular by the movie Flashdance?
4. Which clothing brand had a huge boost in popularity thanks to groups like Run DMC?
5. What item of clothing became legendary thanks to the rapper MC Hammer?
6. What look did Don Johnson from Miami Vice make popular during the 1980’s?
Wearing white suits with pastel shirts and loafers with no socks
7. What was essential if you were ‘power dressing’?
8. What popular type of shoe would you have seen on every street corner during the 1980’s?
9. What is the name of the iconic thick gold chains that you saw artists like Run DMC and Biz Markie wearing?
10. The film Risky Business introduced people to which fashion accessory?
Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses
11. Which French fashion designer released a collection in 1987 that defined 1980’s haute couture?
12. The 1982 film Fast Times at Ridgemont High inspired people to buy what item of clothing?
Red string bikinis
13. What was Nancy Reagan’s signature color?
14. Which sportswear company manufactured the first athletic shoe designed for women in the 1980’s?
15. What was the name of the must-have hair accessory of the 1980’s?
16. Which footwear company became hugely popular in the 1980’s after the popularity of punk rock?
Doc Martens boots
17. Which sort of denim wash was an iconic sight in the 1980’s?
18. What was the name of the jean brand that was very popular in the 1980’s that featured an upside down white triangle?
19. LL Cool J made which fashion item a must-have item in 1985?
The Kangol buckethat
20. ‘Business in the front, party at the back’ was the slogan for which iconic 1980’s haircut?
21. What footwear brand became the must-have footwear thanks to their appearance in the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High?
22. What 1980’s manufacturer of shorts had the ethos ‘color, freedom, difference, humor and love’?
23. Which dress designer became hugely popular thanks to the show Little House on the Prairie?
24. What was the name of the trendy fashion brand aimed at teens created by North Face in the 1980’s?
25. What fashion statement was pioneered by Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, and Demi Moore in the 1980’s?
26. Which iconic 1980’s material gets its name from the anagram of the word ‘expands’?
27. Bill Cosby wore iconic and unforgettable sweaters throughout the 1980’s - but who made them?
28. Which clothing brand has Guinness World Record for the most controversial advertising campaign?
Benetton with their 1989 campaign
29: What is the name ‘Swatch’ short for?
30. Which brand of trainers did Slick Rick mention in his song ‘La Di Da Di’?
How did you get on with those? However well, or badly, you might have done, we hope you had a great time, and now know all sorts of new and fun facts about the 1980’s that you might not have known!
If you’ve enjoyed these 1980’s trivia questions and answers, and want to try out some more, have a look at these: