Food, glorious food! We all eat it, and we all love it – let’s be honest. With so many different cuisines, ingredients and fun facts about food trivia though, it can be tricky to keep track of just what you might know about food.
Whether it’s for fuel or you’re looking at a gourmet dish, why not put your brain to the test and see how much you know.
From budding chefs to microwave lovers, we can guarantee that you’ll get at least some of these fun food trivia questions and answers right.
And why not put your friends and family to the test? Does Dad think he’s a grill king? Knock him off his throne!
Does a best friend reckon they know all about world cuisine? Take them on a journey and see them squirm during the next trivia night.
With 173 different food trivia questions and answers to choose from, there will be something for everyone here.
Let’s start off easy and get you nicely warmed up with some more general food trivia questions and answers. Think these are easy? Well, just you wait – there are some real brain twisters coming up later on!
1. What are the top two most popular spices in the world?
Pepper and Mustard
2. What percentage of peanuts is found in a standard jar of peanut butter?
Every jar of peanut butter must be at least 90% peanuts
3. What is used to make hummus?
4. Which famous soft drink was invented in 1892?
5. What two words were combined to make the word ‘Spam’?
6. How much caffeine needs to be taken out of coffee for it to be described as decaffeinated?
At least 97%
7. If something is described as ‘rotisserie’, what has it been cooked on?
It would have been cooked on a spit
8. What are the names of the Rice Krispies mascots?
Snap, Crackle, & Pop
9. If you ordered an Omelet Arnold Bennett, what fish would you find in it?
10. What are the sugared almonds, traditionally thrown over the bride and groom at a wedding, called?
11. What is the most expensive spice (by weight) in the world?
12. What is the hottest part of a chili?
The flesh at the tip
13. What nutrient comes from meat, eggs, and fish?
14. What does ‘Dorito’ actually mean?
Dorito is Spanish for ‘little golden things’
15. What was the first food eaten in space?
16. What is canola an abbreviation for?
17. Where were French fries invented?
18. If you suffer from Mageirocophobia, what are you scared of?
Mageirocophobia is the fear of cooking
19. Some bands share a name with a food. Which band named after a foodstuff has sold the most records?
The Red Hot Chili Peppers, followed closely by Meatloaf
20. What turns a plain martini into a dirty martini?
Adding olive juice
21. Sailors used to suffer from a horrible illness called scurvy. What causes scurvy?
A lack of vitamin C
22. Which is the only food that can never go off or go bad?
23. Baked beans are made from what type of bean?
24. What item of food holds the world record for being the most stolen item of food in the world?
25. What is gelatin made from?
The skin and bones of animals
26. Choux and filo are two types of what food product?
27. What type of food is a peanut?
A peanut is a legume, not a nut
American Food Trivia Questions & Answers
Let’s turn to our great nation for the next batch of fun food trivia questions and answers. We’ve got a dazzling and mouth-watering array of different foods, some of which are specific to certain parts of the US, some of which are more well-known. See how well you get on with these brain teasers!
1. What is the USA’s favorite flavor of ice cream?
2. New Orleans is famous for a dish that incorporates French, Spanish, and Caribbean influences - what is this dish called?
3. Where would you find Gumbo?
4. Which is the only US state that grows coffee beans?
5. What is the national alcoholic drink of the USA?
6. Where was the cheeseburger born?
7. The state of Georgia is the 3rd largest producer of which fruit?
8. What is the iconic meal often found in Chicago?
The Deep-dish pizza
9. What is the most frequently ordered item of food in the USA?
10. Where was Coca-Cola first served?
11. Which state is sometimes referred to as the popcorn state of the USA?
12. Iowa is the what capital of the world?
Iowa is the ice cream capital of the world
13. What the official state pie of Florida?
Key Lime Pie
14. What is the most popular pizza topping in the USA?
15. How many US states have adopted a fruit pie as their official state dish?
16. What cheese would you find on a Reuben sandwich?
17. Which popular US dish features a sauce made from sausage dripping, flour, and milk?
Biscuits and gravy
18. Which state would you eat laulau in?
19. Where and when was the chocolate chip cookie invented?
20. Which president bought mac and cheese back to the USA, and where did he bring it from?
Thomas Jefferson first tried mac and cheese in Paris, France, and bought the recipe back to the USA with him
21. Which city in Germany gives its name to one of the USA’s favorite foods?
22. Which alcoholic drink is spelled with an ‘e’ in the USA and Ireland, but without one in the rest of the world?
Whiskey in the USA and Ireland, whisky everywhere else
23: Peach pie is the national dessert of which state?
24. What food item do you need a doctor’s note to purchase after 6 pm in Newark?
25. What nationality was the person who invented the hot dog?
26. How many cans of soda does the average American drink every year?
27. What is the oldest soft drink in the USA?
28. What is another name for garbanzo beans?
29. What is the most frequently ordered item at seafood restaurants?
Thanksgiving Food Trivia Questions & Answers
We’re the only country to properly celebrate Thanksgiving, and there are all sorts of weird and wonderful traditions and trivia surrounding it. But how much do you really know about Thanksgiving? Time to put yourself, and your friends and family, to the test.
1. How much does the average Thanksgiving turkey weigh?
2. California is notable during Thanksgiving for what reason?
On average, the state of California consumes the most turkey out of all the states!
3. How many green bean casseroles are thought to be made every Thanksgiving?
Over 40 million
4. Which baked dish bought back from Paris by Thomas Jefferson has become more of a Thanksgiving staple as the years go by?
Mac and cheese
5. How long did the first-ever Thanksgiving celebration last?
6. Which meat was served at the first Thanksgiving dinner?
Venison, lobster, oysters, goose, and duck
7. How many calories does the average Thanksgiving meal include?
8. Who made Thanksgiving an official holiday?
9. And which president refused to accept or celebrate Thanksgiving as an official holiday?
10. What is the name of the Native American tribe who celebrated the first Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims?
11. How many turkeys are prepared every Thanksgiving?
12. And not forgetting desert - how many pumpkin pies are enjoyed every Thanksgiving?
13. What year was green bean casserole first introduced into Thanksgiving dinner?
14. Where will you find the oldest Thanksgiving parade?
15. What is the average American’s favorite Thanksgiving side dish?
16. What was the Guinness World Record for the heaviest Thanksgiving turkey?
17. When do they celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada?
The second Monday of October
18. Which president was the first to pardon a turkey?
John F Kennedy
19. What year was the first Thanksgiving celebrated?
20. Where are the majority of Thanksgiving turkeys bred?
21. How many pilgrims were at the first Thanksgiving dinner?
22. Which item of cutlery was only invented 10 years after the first Thanksgiving?
23. How do most Thanksgiving parades conclude?
With the arrival of Santa Claus
24. What does cornucopia mean?
Horn of plenty
25. Macy’s Thanksgiving parade is famous for its balloons. But what did they have instead of balloons at the first Thanksgiving parade?
Animals from Central Park zoo
26. How many feathers does a fully-grown turkey have?
27. How many townships in Kansas are named after the turkey?
28. True or false - Thanksgiving led to the invention of the TV dinner?
Fast Food Trivia Questions & Answers
While it may not be the best for your health, who can resist the guilty pleasure of fast food? We’ve all succumbed to the temptation of a delicious burger and fries at one point or another! How much do you think you know about fast food, though? Time to step up to the mark.
1. Which popular fast food beverage used to contain whiskey and egg whites?
2. What popular Mexican dish literally translates as ‘little donkey’?
3. Which fast food outlet has the largest number of restaurants in the world?
4. Where is the only McDonald’s in Cuba?
Guantanamo Bay, on the US military base
5. Where was pizza invented?
6. How many herbs and spices make up the KFC spice blend?
7. Which is the oldest fast food restaurant?
8. What did McDonald’s introduce to their menu in 1968?
The Big Mac
9. Which fast food restaurant first invented the drive-thru window?
Red’s Giant Hamburg
10. ‘Have it your way’ is the slogan for which fast food restaurant?
11. KFC is short for what?
Kentucky Fried Chicken
12. What year did the first Taco Bell open?
13. What was the first fast-food restaurant to be opened in China?
14. Where would you be able to get a ‘Grand Slam’ meal?
15. Where would you be able to order ‘Beef ‘n’ Cheddar’?
16. Which McDonald’s is the busiest McDonald’s restaurant in the world?
The McDonald’s in Munich, Germany
17. Which fast food restaurant is sometimes referred to as the healthiest in the USA?
18. White Castle sells hamburgers in which iconic shape?
White Castle sells square hamburgers
19. Which fast food restaurant had the slogan ‘where’s the beef?’?
20. Where was the first Pizza Hut?
21. Which fast food restaurant quite literally started out in a broom closet?
Papa John’s Pizza
22. If you wanted curly fries and a ‘Jamocha’ shake, where would you have to go?
23. What is the slogan for Fatburger?
‘The Last Great Hamburger Stand’
24. What is the most commonly-used flavor enhancer used by fast-food restaurants?
25. What fast food restaurant is famous for its frozen fruit shakes?
26. What is the name of the signature burger of Carl’s Jr.?
The Famous Star
27. How many fast-food restaurants are there in the USA?
28. What is the least healthy burger you can buy from a fast-food restaurant?
The Double Six Dollar Burger from Carl’s Jr.
29. How many different ingredients does it take to make a Big Mac?
30. What percentage of all restaurants in the USA are pizzerias?
17% of all restaurants in the USA are pizzerias!
31. Where was the first Jack in the Box fast-food restaurant opened?
San Diego, California
World Food Trivia Questions & Answers
Some of our favorites foods come from around the world, and while you may be a fan of a chow mein or a pizza, how much do you really know about these foodstuffs from around the world? Give this set of questions about world food a go!
1. How many different shapes of pasta are there?
2. If you ordered a ‘bouillabaisse’, what would you expect to eat?
3. What do Italians call maize?
4. What cheese is the Netherlands famous for making?
5. If you order an ‘affogato’, what would you get?
Vanilla ice cream with a shot of espresso
6. What is a bratwurst?
A type of German sausage
7. What is a wiener schnitzel traditionally made of?
8. Borscht is a popular soup in Europe. What is it made out of?
9. Which country would you be in if you ended up eating colcannon and champ?
10. A Chinese gooseberry is more commonly known as what?
A kiwi fruit
11. Where do tacos come from?
12. What foodstuff is traditionally wrapped in seaweed?
13. What is commonly known as the King of English Cheeses?
14. What is the name of the South American dish of raw fish marinated in citrus juice?
15. What is Indian bread more commonly known as?
16. Where were Belgian waffles invented?
17. What is the direct translation of the word moussaka?
18. Which country consumes the most coffee?
19. Which country eats the least amount of meat in the world?
20. Tiramisu is one of the most popular Italian desserts. But what does it mean?
It literally translates as ‘Pick Me Up’
21. Which country invented fish and chips?
22. If you asked for ‘unagi’ in a Japanese restaurant, what would you get?
23. Where were French fries invented?
24. What is the most important foodstuff for more than a third of the world’s population?
25. Where would you find Tom Yum soup?
26. What Asian fruit is sometimes known as the ‘king of fruits’ and has a very strong smell?
27. If you were served a variety of hot and cold dishes in Sweden, what would you call it?
28. What is Japanese Sake made from?
29. Where was the popular curry, the chicken Tikka Masala invented?
Weird and Wacky Food Trivia Questions & Answers
If the previous topics have been a breeze, then you might want to sink your teeth into these weird and whacky food trivia questions and answers. Guaranteed to be a bit trickier, you’ll be sure to learn a thing or two about the weirder side of food!
1. What is the name of the Egyptian dish that consists of lentils, rice, macaroni, and chickpeas?
2. What is the name of the fruit that transforms sour things into sweet things?
The miracle berry
3. Kopi Luwak is the most expensive coffee in the world - what is it also known as?
Cat poo coffee
4. What is the name of the seaside candy popular in the UK?
5. Surstromming is a Swedish delicacy. But why is it illegal to eat it in public?
It is too smelly
6. Swans are protected in the UK. Who is the only person allowed to eat swan?
The Queen of England
7. What animal do they use in the Middle East for milk, meat, and transport?
8. In Arkansas, you might be able to buy ‘buffalo ribs’. What are they?
9. What are crab sticks actually made of?
10. What animal from South America has the nickname ‘chicken of the trees’?
11. Which popular confectionary was once used as currency by the ancient Mayans?
12. What expensive shellfish was once seen as peasant food?
13. Where was the Hawaiian pizza invented?
14. Which president was allegedly a huge fan of mushroom ketchup?
15. What is the single ingredient used in a toast sandwich?
16. Where might you be able to try bird nest soup?
17. During Lent, pilgrims used to eat one part of the beaver because they believed it was effectively fish. Which part did they eat?
18. Which shellfish should still be alive when eaten?
19. What was the original use for ketchup?
Ketchup was originally used for diarrhea medicine!
20. Which US president invented egg nog?
21. What’s the difference between cilantro and coriander?
There isn’t any difference - they’re the same plant
22. Why is pound cake called pound cake?
The original recipe required a pound of each ingredient
23. How are Brussel sprouts, kale, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower linked?
They all derive from the same plant
24. What are the flavors of the different colored Fruit Loops?
They are all the same flavor
25. What is the difference between jam and jelly?
Jam uses the actual fruit, whereas jelly uses fruit juice
26. What are gourds frequently used for?
Making shower loofahs
27. Where does German chocolate cake originate from?
28. Which has more vitamin C - peppers or oranges?
29. Which fruit technically has a wasp inside of it?
If you’ve enjoyed these fun food trivia questions and answers, then why not have a look at these other trivia question lists: