The Fellowship of the Ring, the Two Towers, The Return of the King – we all know the Lord of the Rings. Whether you’re a book buff or a fan of the films, you’re bound to have picked up some fab and funky bits of knowledge on your quest to destroy the ring.
But how much do you really know? And how much do your friends claim they know too?
Put yourself to the test with these 81 Lord of the Rings trivia questions and answers, and see who knows their Mordor from their Minas Tirith!
The Fellowship of the Ring Trivia Questions & Answers
We’ll kick things off by looking at some questions relating to the first book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Fellowship of the Ring is where we are introduced to all the characters – how much do you think you can remember?
1. What is Bilbo and Frodo Baggins’ home called?
2. What birthday does Bilbo Baggins celebrate in the Fellowship of the Ring?
His eleventy-first (111th) birthday
3. What is the name of the character that cut the One Ring from Sauron’s finger?
4. Where was the One Ring forged?
In the fires of Mount Doom
5. Who ends up finding the Ring after Isildur is killed?
6. What is the other name for the character Smeagol?
7. What are the names of the Hobbits who steal Gandalf’s fireworks?
Peregrin/Pippin Took and Meriadoc/Merry Brandybuck
8. In The Fellowship of the Ring, what color is Gandalf associated with?
9. What happens when you wear the One Ring?
You become invisible
10. How many other rings of power are there?
19 - 3 for the elves, 9 for men, and 7 for the dwarves
11. Where does Gandalf arrange to meet Frodo and Samwise?
At the Prancing Pony Inn
12. Can you name all nine of the people who make up the Fellowship of the Ring?
Aragorn, Gimli, Gandalf, Boromir, Legolas, Frodo, Samwise, Merry, and Pippin
13. And where was the Fellowship of the Ring first formed?
14. Where do Hobbits come from in Middle Earth?
15. What does Bilbo give Frodo before Frodo leaves Rivendell?
Some Mithril armor and Sting, his sword
16. What is the name of the creature that Gandalf fights in the mines of Moria?
Gandalf fights a Balrog
17. What creatures end up killing Boromir and kidnapping Merry and Pippin?
18. Where would you find the bridge of Khazad-dum?
The Mines of Moria
19. What fake name does Gandalf advise that Frodo use?
The Two Towers Trivia Questions & Answers
Moving on to the second book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, featuring the epic battle for Helm’s Deep, and the return of a character we thought we wouldn’t see again… No spoilers here! What do you remember from the Two Towers? Try your luck on these Lord of the Rings trivia questions and answers about the Two Towers.
1. Who calls the One Ring ‘my precious’?
2. What is the name of the territories owned by the Horse Lords?
3. Merry and Pippin escape from the Uruk Hai. What is the name of the forest that they hide in?
4. What creature living in Fangorn Forest might you mistake for a tree?
5. Who is the king of Rohan?
6. What are Theoden’s children called?
Eomer, Eowyn, and Theodred
7. Who do Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli find in Fangorn Forest?
8. In The Two Towers, what color is Gandalf associated with?
9. What Gandalf’s horse called?
10. What are the Two Towers called?
Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith
11. What is the name of the character who is controlling Theoden?
12. What is the name of the orb that Saruman uses to communicate with Sauron?
13. Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol end up getting captured. Who captures them?
14. What is Faramir’s brother called?
15. Where does Theoden tell the people of Rohan to go and shelter?
At Helm’s Deep
16. How do the Uruk Hai get into Helm’s Deep?
By using the sewer and destroying the wall
17. How many characters from the Fellowship of the Ring are reunited after the battle of Isengard?
6 - Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn, Pippin, Merry, and Gandalf
18. What day is Aragorn told to look to the east on?
Aragorn is told by Gandalf to look to the east at dawn on the 5th day
19. What are the creatures that almost kill Aragorn called?
20. Saruman spends most of his time in his tower, Orthanc. Where is his tower located?
21. How many ringwraiths, or Nazgul, are there?
The Return of the King Trivia Questions & Answers
The third and final installment of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Return of the King tied up all the loose ends in a thrilling finale. How much can you remember, and how many of these Lord of the Rings trivia questions do you think you can get right? Give it a go!
1. What was Smeagol’s brother called?
2. What did Deagol find at the bottom of the river?
The One Ring
3. What is the name of the character who rides a dragon?
The Witch-King of Angmar
4. What does Pippin see in the Palantir?
The white tree of Gondor
5. Who does Gollum try and have Frodo and Sam killed by?
6. What is the name of the giant spider who lives in Cirith Ungol?
7. Who reforges the sword that cut the Ring from Sauron’s finger?
8. What is the name of this sword?
The Sword of Elendil
9. Who does Aragorn end up marrying?
10. Which race does Aragorn’s wife belong to?
Arwen is an elf
11. What is the name of Boromir and Faramir’s father?
12. What does Gondor use to try and signal for assistance?
Beacons of fire
13. What does Sam use to scare Shelob away from Frodo?
He uses the Phial that Galadriel gave him, containing the light from the Star of Earendil
14. How do Frodo and Sam sneak into Mordor?
They disguise themselves as orcs
15. How do Frodo and Sam get out of Mordor?
They are carried to safety by the Great Eagles
16. Who attacks Frodo and Sam when they are in the heart of Mount Doom?
17. Which character ends up killing the Witch-King of Angmar/the Lord of the Nazgul?
18. Which army does Aragorn end up convincing to help them fight Sauron?
The Army of the Dead
19. Right at the end of the Return of the King, the elves leave Middle Earth. Who joins them?
Bilbo, Frodo, and Gandalf
20. Which part of the body does Frodo end up losing?
21. How long does it take the Hobbits to get back to the Shire?
Quotes from Lord of the Rings Trivia Questions & Answers
The Lord of the Rings has some absolutely iconic quotes. But which ones do you remember? See how many of these quotes from Lord of the Rings can you get correct.
1. Who says the following line: ‘Nine companions. So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring’?
2. Who says: ‘One does not simply walk into Mordor’?
3. Which character said ‘I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone’?
4. Who tells the rest of the characters to ‘fly, you fools’?
Gandalf the Grey
5. Which character calls Sam a ‘stupid, fat Hobbit’?
6. Who says ‘I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve’?
7. Which rather hungry character says ‘We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?’?
8. When does Eowyn, daughter of Theoden, declare ‘I am no man!’?
As she is about to kill the Witch-King of Angmar
9. Who is ‘never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to’?
Gandalf the Grey
10. Which character alerts the others that ‘they’re taking the Hobbits to Isengard’?
11. To whom does Gandalf declare ‘you shall not pass’?
To the Balrog
12. What is Gandalf referring to when he asks Frodo ‘is it secret? Is it safe?’?
The One Ring
13. Who says to Frodo ‘I can’t carry it for you. But I can carry you’?
14. Which mistrusting character thinks that Hobbits ‘sound like orc mischief’?
Treebeard the Ent
15. Who taunts the Nazgul with the line ‘if you want him, come and claim him’?
16. Which character speaks the line ‘my friends, you answer to no one’?
17. Who is told to ‘leave, now, and never come back’?
Gollum is told to leave by Smeagol
18. Which character says ‘The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the company is true’?
19. Who tries to convince Gandalf that ‘we must join with Sauron. It would be wise, my friend’?
20. Who declares that ‘nobody tosses a dwarf’?
How did you get on with those Lord of the Rings trivia questions and answers? We don’t know about you, but we want to watch the movies again!
If you’ve enjoyed these Lord of the Rings trivia questions and answers,then why not try some of these other trivia topics: